Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pizza not pasta

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a whore for food. My husband tells anyone who will listen how he clinched the deal using food.

Please understand that I am a great fan of the lasgiddy tri-state area, I am not one of those returnees who wants to constantly unfairly compare Lagos to an NYC or a London but there are some gold standards of service that should be maintained period.

Manuella residence is the only place to get a decent pizza in VI in my humble opinion especially if you are not a fan of the deep pan American type pizza. Although I have already resigned myself to outrageous waiting times and overinflated prices the straw finally broke the camels back last week.

Picture if you will a lunchtime sojourn to Manuellas with my BFF and the cousin who has not been home for over 10 years. We wisely directed him to have the pizza but for some reason madness makes me order the tortellini with spinach and ricotta.
Starter perfect
Pizza perfect
Wine not award winning
Tortellini hard as a rock.

I first complain to the waitress and just coz she looked so confused I send her with the plate to the chef (I am convinced my tortellini is showing signs of having been in a microwave). She comes back saying "that how the meat is supposed to be". After calmly explaining spinach and ricotta can in no way be described as meat I ask to see the manager.

We get carried away chatting so its almost half an hour before we notice we have not seen the manager so we have to go extract her from her comfy seat in the corner of the totally empty but for us restaurant.

I think this is were I explain that I have had this dish in many places from the traditional recipe at my friend Christina's at her beautiful mountain home up in Lake Como (yes it is Gods country and George Clooney's house, what you can see from the road, is amazing) not to mention a fab Italian on Bleaker street in NYC so I know what it should taste like. Why was my girl from management trying to convince me that its all in my head. When I wasn't going for it she told me that seeing as they no longer make it fresh on site I may not be used to how its tasting. Our boy from the overs tried to explain that it really didn't matter, all she should be trying to do is fix the problem. Other than sarcastically suggesting that we were trying to force an apology from her (i think his words at this point was please keep you apology and fix the problem she is the customer) she was not willing to do anything about it.

I get infuriated by this type of service and despite my leaving a plate of food we still paid for it. I do not know why I put up with that type of service. It should not be tolerated. I got me an online recipe and shall be making my pizza and pasta at home from now on and I suggest you do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good stuff. love the anecdotes. what a country? who would have thought 40 years ago that the country would actually be worse off. issues with bad leadership, inadequate infrastructure. essentially we have a country of hustlers, from the beggars on the street, to the police, traffic wardens... all the way to the federal government itself. our leaders take us a mugus and we appear to do little about it!!!