Thursday, March 25, 2010

Inverter is up the creek

This one will be a hard one for some to get their head around but those of us living with erratic electricity will know exactly where I am coming from. I am incapable of making light (haha) of this coz right now I have a knot in my stomach the size of which I have not felt since my diploma presentation (which I had to have a couple of shots before to perform).

Those of you living out of the erratic electricity zone can never understand the kind of strategic planning you incorporate into your day to day so some examples may help.
After I get back from the gym I stall before having my shower coz I know the generator is coming on at noon and I do not want to get dressed in the heat and if I want to wash and dry my hair the same goes.
The guy who comes to iron our clothes is on a strict schedule to ensure he maximises the daytime gen slot.
Anything I want to quickly microwave, blend, boil in the kettle or toast can only happen at certain times of the day.
All electronics that need charging must be done when you have PHCN or gen electricity (mobile phones, laptops and baby DVD players), as I have found the inverter charging is not so good for the batteries.
There was a time when we did not have a dedicated generator in the building for the lifts and I, as well as many other people I know, had to plan when to leave home and come back so that the lifts would be working.....not to mention planning for when your guests can arrive as nobody likes climbing stairs in this heat for fun!!!!!

At night, when I say my prayers, I usually thank the Lord for a few inanimate things in my life and my inverter is one of them. Its a battery that charges on electricity when we have light (which I must admit is quite good in my compound) and switches on seamlessly when the light goes. It carrys my TV and the fans the computer and importantly the fridge and freezer. But since about December last year it started acting up so we changed the batteries and all has been sweet and well in my household UNTIL TODAY.
It has started acting up again and only lasted at last monitoring about 2 hours and hence the reason for my knot in my stomach. My pickni is a good person but if the a/c or fan is not soothing the fevered brow NOBODY gets any sleep. Going to get on it tomorrow but in the meanwhile fingers crossed eh.

If my mama was reading this she would tell me (bless her) that I pray for the wrong things. In this case she is probably right. I should be praying for the government to do the right thing. It makes no sense at all that Ghana next door has light 24/7. It makes no sense at all that while I am watching Hurt Locker all I can think about is that even in a war torn country they have bloody LIGHT IN THEIR HOUSES!!! It makes no sense that with all the natural wealth we have in my country we are still living under these conditions.....not sure who to blame really but I for one am fed up.

No comments: