Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The orange light debate

I don't know about you all but one of the many reasons I HATE driving in Lagos is the Police and LASMA.

Picture if you will a Monday morning, running late as usual, am driving my baby to school and traffic is hideous as always. I get to the junction just as the light is turning, suddenly seemingly out of nowhere jump three police people who surround my car. I immediately start to shake my head coz I know what they are going to say and the light was not red.

I wind down my window a crack, I learnt not to open my window too wide the hard way but that's another story. I am bombarded by screaming and insults!!! Honestly I don't function too well before midday so I just sit there shaking my head repeating as if in a daze "the light was orange" and "stop shouting at me".

One of the policemen (disturbingly in plain clothes with no visible ID) takes to hitting the side of my car, probably to snap me out of my monologue. This wakes me up a tad and I turn to him and tell him to stop hitting my car as he is scaring my child, who bless her is looking suitably wide eyed and traumatised. At this point I think they decide to leave me alone because I certainly do not intend to start begging and negotiating at that time in the morning especially as I have done nothing wrong.

As I carry on to school though I become aware of a slow burning in my stomach. I am now filled with righteous indignation. I don't care if I had jumped a red light I am not sure it warrants that type of abuse in the early mo mo!!! I wish I had just run them over now!!!

Policemen/armed robbers same number on my 'why I hate driving in Lagos' scale.

No comments: