Thursday, March 11, 2010

DSTV

I would not blame you for thinking after reading the title that I was going to bitch about just how annoying it is to pay for "cable" and STILL have nothing to watch.  If you are not a fan of reality television or sports then once you've heard the news for the day you're stuck. I would like you then to imagine my horror when I scrolled around to ye olde faithful 'crime and investigation'&lovingly called the 'hot gist channel' in my house and found it E30 scrambled.  I found this to be so on the Disney channel but as CBBC was keeping the pikni busy I wasn't too concerned.

I must admit to foolishly thinking it would rectify itself so I let the situation linger for about 3 days in the meanwhile hearing from others that it was happening to them.  Day 4 I gave multichoice a call straight to option 5 to talk to an operator.  This is where it all went pear shaped.  I went through the usual hoopla, go to this channel press this button routine, I am sending a signal and lo and behold my beloved C&I was back.

This blissful state was maintained for all of 24 hours before it disappeared again.  I called back and the above situation was repeated.  Two days later its was gone again.  I called back with barely restrained Patience now and what follows is the conversation I had with the "helpful" customer service girl.

"Hi, my customer number is xyz and I am Mrs blah blah this is the third time I am calling coz my C&I and Disney channel are scrambled."
"There seems to be no problem from here it may be coming from the point of origin"
"Every time I call you guys you manage to rectify the situation so I am pretty sure that's not the case.  I'm just done calling you guys every other day so how can we make this permanent."
"Hold on a second ma (pause) I see.  C&I is no longer a 24 hours channel"
"YOU WHAT when did this happen?"
"I'm not sure ma"
"So when does it come on?"
"I don't know ma"
"What do you mean you don't know"
Silence
"Are you trying to tell me that there is a channel on my television that comes on when it feels like it with no broadcasting schedule?"
"I have no information ma"
"Do you think I didn't go to school or something?  Does it make sense to you?  Even in the days of NTA 2 channel five you knew what time it came on...5pm.
Silence
"Can you put on someone with a brain please I am done with this conversation.  You have my number right?  When someone with a brain is available get them to call me back I want this sorted out."
Luckily Ms Brain called me back and sorted it all out.
I could not help it I had to give a little lecture.
I suggested she told Ms Helpful that rather than lying and assuming she is dealing with someone with less brains than she has she should instead assume the opposite coz more likely than not she would be right.  There is no harm in solving a problem by finding someone better qualified to deal with it.
No need to lie just say "you don't know".

No comments: