Monday, April 5, 2010

Le Carnival

I don't really know what to say about this. It is not the first time nor will it be the last time that the lasgiddy tri state area will be brought to a standstill for a "carnival".

I watched some of it out of the window of my flat and I must admit it looked like a lot of time and effort went into it, so not really trying to takeaway from the regular folk who worked hard.

Its just that on deeper reflection I can't help but be upset by a few little things

1. The horrendous traffic.
There is a red bus that I have been using as an indicator of just how bad it is and they have been chilling in the same spot for 3 hours I kid you not. In the defence of Lagos state, people were told the route and told to park themselves at home. It is just a tad surprising to me that SO MANY did not heed this warning.

2. I was always under the impression that carnivals of this sort had a multiple function.
First to entertain the common folk (God forgive me) and secondly to generate MONEY.
I was thinking along the lines of the mardi gras, Notting hill carnival, The Love parades and of course Brazil. People come from all over the WORLD. They take up rooms in hotels, they spend all that fab money on the locals and the country is the better for it. You have to spend a little to get alot in these cases but here in lasgiddy.......we just spent alot and certain people went home laughing.
Do not get me started on the rumours that have been going around. Some people were given millions (make that tens of thousands for those of you used to sterling) to bring feathers into my country!!! Feathers I hear you say? Yes feathers. We have no light, no drinkable water, no security, no decent roads, no health care system I can go on and people are getting paid to bring in feathers. Money that I think would have been better spent at some of the orphanages perhaps.

Sometimes I think there really need to be an anti Lagos state government who goes around acting like a mother does sometime, spoiling all the fun. No you can't do that fun amazing thing coz boring ass things like fixing the drainage system on a major arterial road has to come first!!!!!!

No comments: