Friday, April 30, 2010

The shades of grey of crime

I was on the way back from the Gym today, on a new body sculpting regimen that is kicking my ass, so was not at my best. In the periphery I just got the impression that something strange was going on outside. I took a minute to work out what it was and it just seemed that all the street hawkers were doing a rabbit caught in the headlights routine. One minute they were ambling leisurely in my direction (its damn hot so the pace is normal) then they would stop, squint, pivot and belt it back the other way. It was a pitiful sight actually, there was this one woman with her baby on her back and fresh bread on the head but what I really noticed was the abundant breast swinging all over the place. Ou est la bra? I wanted to shout at her, but as you will soon see this was the least of her problems!!!! Having just come from the gym at this point one may have assumed that the eau de sweat I was giving off was a tad overpowering , upon turning around, however I saw a KAI (Kick against indiscipline) truck about 5 cars back and all became clear.

A little history (what a joke I have no idea but I will try and put it in prospective). Nigerians as a race have a reputation for being undisciplined. I am not talking just about in the huge important ways but also in small ways where they live like normal rules of conduct do not apply to them. Example......Cutting in line, not observing road traffic rules (they never wanna let you off the round about) and if we had bothered to follow the rest of the world, we would smoke right under a no smoking sign, its just the type of people we are. Ours is a country were many a times some long suffering landlord will have to paint a sign on the wall that says "please do not piss or defecate here!" If I have my facts right (haha) President Babangida (military ruler) started a movement called 'War against indiscipline'. I was away at school at the time but I remember my brother used to regale me with stories about unfortunate people hijacked mid pee and taken to jail!!!

So KAI, their job involves picking up illegal traders, so our streets can be clear of vermin. I despair though coz honestly I prefer them to at least be trading rather than car jacking etc. I just don't know how these people can get reintegrated into society!!!

My driver though was telling me that so long as you pay them in advance they will give you a heads up of when they will be in your area so you won't be etc etc. Corruption then has managed to get its tentacles into this organisation. Typical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry love - it was Buhari and Idiagbon (bottom of the coconut)- they introduced WAI, had zero tolerance and i think used to tie people to stakes and shoot them!! Maybe they did more than pee on the street though...can't remember.

Down and out in lasgiddy, a diary said...

I checked with the boy and you are totally right. I guess my brother left out the staked and shot part of it but in moderation I would be all for it!!!