Monday, April 5, 2010

Nigerian women aggressive?????

I have been meaning to air my view on this for a long time and I must start by saying I was one of those people who would tell all and sundry that "Nigerian girls are aggressive".

I am not sure what happened to me last night but its like I had an epiphany. I was sat with friends and family and tongues were loose from the vino that had been flowing for hours. I was surrounded, it turns out, by a whole load of expat wives (if you can call them that, most have been chilling in Nigeria for longer than I have been alive). The newbie to the posse had just arrived in the lasgiddy tri state area (about 6 weeks) and she was eagerly pumping all of us about all sorts of things to make life in Nigeria more manageable for her. Next question "Is it true that Nigerian women are really aggressive when it comes to men" I think at this point I inhaled deeply and replied "I am done promoting that stereotype. All women can be aggressive when they go after what they want."
This was met with such a chorus of negative abuse that my hackles raised immediately and it was going to be damn hard for anyone to move me from my stand point.

I was especially surprised by the passion with which people tried to change my view. Someone suggested it was the poverty aspect that led girls to jump on any man married, single or gay in such a desperate manner. I think one of my aunty's exclaimed righteously that "there is no poverty in the west". That one I could not let fly. I said, with all protocols observed, "I don't know what part of the world you come from but I have been all over it and the common denominator is poverty" She may have attempted to be upset for a bit after that but the convo died a natural death and we all moved on.

Then I got to thinking.

First perhaps I have to give you my "why Nigerians are NOTORIOUS all over the world" theory and then explain how this applies to the Nigerian aggressive woman debate. It all stems from the same thing. I'm going to go slow on this but follow me, this one is a doozy!!!!

First I will start with listing the genetically imprinted personality traits of the average Nigerian.
1. We are too bloody clever for our own good.
2. We like Good tins!!!

Expanding on point 1.
We are too clever for our own good has put a token Nigerian topping the lists of INTERPOL, Americas most wanted, CIA, FBI, MI5 or is it 6!!! What I am getting at is that we can't help ourselves. We always find a way to get money that does not belong to us. We learn how to crack bank codes, impersonate other people and con people out of their life savings. We are always one step ahead of most Gov agencies and therefore now have a well earned reputation not to be trusted with all things money related (Oprah felt it important to warn the American public about Nigerian con artists and how we think they are all Mugus but that's another story). This leads us nicely unto point 2.
We like good tins. Do we always want to work for it? No!!! Usually the average Nigerian is waiting for someone to deliver them from their condition (stole that one from a friend). If it's a family member that made it big then he or she best be sending money home. If its parents with money then the entitlement to their money is so strong that if said parents are not forthcoming they are considered evil (never mind that they probably worked damned hard for it and are trying to enjoy a well deserved retirement)and if none of the above is the case and you find 419 not really your cup of tea and you are a woman, then it's time to find a rich man to look after you. Going to school (bad education system) and finding a job (well that's just work isn't it) and earning for yourself are just not an attractive option.

This leads me nicely to the aggressive woman. We the Nigerian woman did not invent the GOLDDIGGER it is a condition as old as time. What we have done is apply point 1 and 2 to this situation which makes it seem a little excessive to some.

I for one have never gone hungry (I thank God for that everyday). I have never had to be envious of anybody coz they had more than me. I went to a damn good school and had fabulous live experiences. I cannot imagine living in a situation where you have to hustle for food, no light, no water unrelenting hustling to make it through the day and no end in sight. You are perhaps not getting an education and all the other hardships of poverty are getting to you.

If you are a, dare I say trailer trash girl from the "West" you may not be as concerned as the Nigerian chick living in poverty, why?
You have welfare, basic medical is covered, school is free. So as long as you have your pack of fags and a bar you can spend your money in the desperation to get out of your situation may be some what reduced.

Miss Nigeria has no such advantage plus she wants the life she sees on television and she is going to get it and she does not care if the man is your husband. You can see where I am going with this. I rest my case.

No comments: