Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My mama the hypocrite!!!!

The boy has been away for for a bit of a break (from me no doubt)and as usual I have collected my mama from her comfy home and brought her over to mine. My reasons are long and convoluted but can be distilled to the fact that since having my pickni I refuse to be the responsible adult on duty.

This morning, as I was tucking into tea and toast, she was getting agitated that my pickni was going to be late for school. Basically the pickni was ready and it was 8am and school starts at 8.30. She was going on about how she didn't want her grand baby suffering the humiliation of walking into class when all her classmates were already busy at school work(the pickni is 2 so I thought this was a bit much). She painted a grim picture (she is the original drama queen and if you knew me you would know I must have gotten it from somewhere). I finally had to break down and confess that although the gates at her school open at 8.30, school does not start till 9 but I could not let my staff know this (driver and nanny) so they would get her to school on time. I went on further to assure her that after the trauma of my childhood I would never take her to school late or pick her up late. At this point she wanted to know what childhood trauma I was referring too so I had to remind her.

I have one of the worst memories on the planet but one thing I do remember clearly was that before being sent off to boarding school my mother used to drop me off at school late EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! Having a mouth on me when my teacher used to tell me off (being about 7 years of age) I would remind her that there wasn't much I could do as its not like I was the one driving or anything. My mother went on about how it was hard being a single mother but I was having none of it. I was so fed up of getting punished for it that I actually remember after we had watched the nine o'clock news (now I think about it what was I doing up so late), I would beg my mum to go to bed so we could get to school on time. Finally we were outside the school gate this fateful day and I said I was not getting out of the car coz my teacher was going to punish me. My mama thought I was exaggerating but I was adamant that I was not getting out of the car, so she promised to come in and explain to the teacher. I got out of the car and she went off to park the car but by the time she got into the class room to explain to the teacher I was already facing the corner on my knees with my hands in the air!!!!!

Happy days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember being late to school AND being one of the last to be picked up!!! Don't know why we lived in Ikeja yet went to a school two hours drive (in Lagos traffic) away - Ebute Metta - guess it was (and probably still is) the best school around!!

Not only was i picked up late but invariably it was because they had been to the market so i would have to sit in the back with guinea fowl and other ASSORTED live animals that belong in a petting zoo - ABSOLUTELY PETRIFIED!!