Friday, January 13, 2012

Occupy Nigeria day 4

Was supposed to post this yesterday but interner was kicking my ass

I am the most apolitical person one would ever find. On this though I think I have gots to agree with the people.

I don't think we are protesting about the subsidy in particular it's more like an ENOUGH already.

The average Nigerian is taxed to within an inch of his life in business and in the home. You have to be the provider of potable water, electricity (generator), security for your home. The mechanic is your best friend because your car spends so much time with him due to the deplorable state if the rds. I will not go on about the medical situation here nor can I hope to understand the full extent of the damage to my country the failed education system represents.

Upon all this "they" have come up with some trumped up reason for removing the fuel subsidy. Up until it was removed I have to admit I knew nothing about the whole thing (shame) but now I am tres upset about its removal, especially as I know for a fact that I am not going to see any improvement to my standard of living.

Basically it’s just taking the piss.

Now just to let you know how it has been for us on the ground.

It is very strange to be stuck at home all day every day. The roads are for the most parts empty. Traffic lights are off there is generally no noise coming from outside. Tres strange feeling basically.
My dad had a total go at me for not having enough provisions for the week. I am sure I was told the protest was just going to be for one day. So you can imagine my alarm on like Wednesday when we ran out of pancake syrup and soft drinks grrrrrr

I am one of the few who have not gone out to protest I must admit. Most of my friends, bless em, have been posting picture of themselves supporting the cause. Gotta admit I am tres impressed. I am afraid I probably have not had the liver because I still have not got enough trust in my fellow country man or the police. Unfortu too many tear gassed protestors on CNN have made an impression over the years.

So here I sit at home avec la familia, reading loads of rumours on my bb, watching the news in-between my addiction for Nickelodeons penguins of Madagascar and basically praying that my government is genuinely listening to the people.

We can't go on like this.
We are all exhausted.
It is time for change

No comments: