Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Let's talk about the weather

A dear friend of mine once told me how she cannot understand the British obsession with the weather.
I tried to explain to her that the variability of the weather is what makes it such a hot topic. You can't step out of your house in England without knowing what may befall you later in the day. It determines your footwear, what kinda umbrella friendly bag you will be toting and how many extra layers of clothes you have to roll with.

"Yes" she says "I understand that, but why then do they feel the need to talk about the weather here?"

I think my argument at the time was that its generally known as a safe and "interesting" topic of small talk.

"If its raining, its raining, we can all see that...why do we have to talk about it"

This has been her stand for many years I would imagine but time and tides have changed.

I think that only a very self absorbed person has not managed to notice the absolute craziness that is the weather on our planet these days. I am a firm believer that this hole in the Ozone layer and global warming is to blame.

Most of my friends are inches deep in snow right now and from what I gather loving it (sheesh).

Yesterday Lagos experienced what could only be described as a freak WIND!! Blew in, minimal rain, 20 mins later it was gone.

Don't get me wrong I heard nothing. Nothing I tell you. I also did some running around and saw NOTHING. So imagine my surprise when my gym buddy wa
s running late due to trees having been blown down and blocking the rd.

I immediately go on twitter and get the general aftermath stories. Trees and road signs down, debris everywhere phone reception disruption etc etc

I then get a call from my dear friend.
"Odun, the roof blew off, I had no idea what was going on. I thought the end of days had come"
Poor thing was in all sorts of shock, coming out of a deep sleep to your roof flying off would have probably killed a lesser person.
I guarantee she spent the rest of the day talking about this errant wind.

Later reports came in that the Angels and Demons may have been having a bit of a tiff but I don't want to go into that too much.

Weather reports coming soon to a TV station near you!!
Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres

No comments: