Friday, October 1, 2010

Happy independence day

So we reached fifty and most of us feel like we have nothing to be proud of really.

We all seem to love to hate Nigeria. Its sad but true. I don't know enough to wax philosophical. My country seems on the verge of something just not sure what. It's either going to explode or we are going to start sorting it out. It seems clear to me that things can't go on as they are.

Most people have posted on FB "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" and I have decided this is going to have to be my attitude from now on.

Since I started working as the Style Editor (yes I put it in capitals I am soooo proud of self) at tW magazine (which btw celebrated 3 years in the biz last night) I have been reading the mag and what I have been amazed by is the number of quiet unsung hero's in my country. I am not talking about those that have it easy because of family money or have a big name behind them which allows them to own and oppress many people. I read about a London based Nigerian doctor whose sister died trying to get to medical help (this is not a rare occurrence in my country) so what does she do? She moves to Nigeria and begs borrows and steals and starts an air ambulance service in 3 states (to date) in Nigeria.
Did she moan and tell the whole world what a crap emergency service we have in this country? Yes I know that was me just a couple of months ago!!!! She did something about it. She has improved and saved many lives in the process.

I am more than ever inspired now to do better by my country.

Happy Independence day Nigeria.

No comments: