Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Yes well this one I have to add to my don't believe the hype pile.

There it joins, The Alchemist, life of pi and frozen yogurt.

I remember a few years ago, everybody on the tube was reading the alchemist so I decided to get myself a copy and see what all the hype was about.

I read it, it was an easy enough read but nothing earth shattering. My good friend was breathlessly gushing about how the book had changed her life. I was not convinced at the time that she was not just quoting Richard and Judy.

I remember she looked tres superior and slightly sneering when she told me "I don't think you understood the book". I am not a snob but I remember thinking that she dropped out of school at 16 so it couldn't be my A in English she was questioning. I graciously said that perhaps I didn't. She took the pains to explain the whole idea that sometimes you go looking for happiness and fulfilment all over the globe but it was right in your back yard. I then had to explain that I got that, it was not news to me. So why would my mind set alter drastically ????

Again with the Eat, Pray, Love. I get the whole in a rut thing. I also get the whole fear holds you back from being happy thing. I also am a huge fan of all things Julia and don't get me started on Penelope Cruz husband (i forget his name for the moment). I loved the movie.....did it change my life though? NO!!! I usually agree with Oprah on everything but on this I've gots to say "nice movie great entertainment value, brilliantly executed but earth shattering it is not!!!!"

No comments: